Monday, September 21, 2015

Read Genesis 6-8, the story of Noah
Now reread Genesis 7:5 “and Noah did all that the Lord commanded of Him.”
How difficult that must have been for Noah, think about what God asked him to do.  First God asked Noah to build an ark, a huge boat, in the middle of the desert.  The task itself must have been daunting, overwhelming to say the least. To build anything alone, is quite an accomplishment, but to build something of that size without help? But really, Noah did have help, he had God there with him the whole time, guiding him, leading him through each step.  But the building was just the first step. Then Noah needed to gather all the animals, all of the food, everything he would need for this journey that he knew nothing about. Noah and his family did not know what to expect. Instead they just trusted in Him. Which is where verse 5 comes in, “and Noah did all that the Lord commanded of Him.”  If we substituted our name for Noah, would that verse still hold true? Have we been asked by God to do the seemingly impossible task? Do we obey God to the fullest? As I pose this question to myself, I would honestly have to say no. I look at what God has asked me to do, and sometimes I do not trust enough to allow Him to help me.  Specifically, I look at the challenge that God has given me in regards to writing this devotion for you and the bible curriculum. Every week I struggle with the right words to put down and constantly wonder if they are my words or God’s. God has put this on my heart, that we need a new way to reach the children of our center, a different approach. One that speaks directly to our little ones. My desire is to glorify God in my writing and at the same time help you, my amazing teachers, while bringing the simplest of messages to our students. I believe that Noah spent the entire time that he was building, gathering, and floating in that arc speaking to God. I need to do that, keep in constant prayer as God trusts us with the tasks he presents to us. I want to be able to say that “I did all that the Lord commanded of me”.

My challenge to you this week:  First, pray! Pray for your own challenges that God is giving to you.  Second, ask someone else to pray for you and a challenge you face. Third, think about what you are asking of your children. God knew exactly what He was asking of Noah, and He knew that Noah would do it. When you ask your children to do something, are you sure they can do it, are you prepared to walk with them, step by step until they are successful? 

No comments:

Post a Comment